I love my church and I love my job. Here is just another example of why:
Our ministry team spent the morning studying the results from a study we did called Your Unique Design. The study maps out 6 parts to personality and how they interact with each other. Every individual has all 6 parts, but we also have a foundational part that will dominate our behavior.
After understanding our own makeup, it is amazing to learn how to use the knowledge to better communicate with one another. For example, I found that the majority of our team members, including my boss, were “Harmonizers,” which meant they operate based on emotions/feelings. I do not primarily operate from that foundation, so the study taught me some great tips on how I can better communicate with them based on our differences. The study states how we react under stress, how we receive and dispense information, and it even gives a guide to the particular daily activities that will energize us.
Great leadership is defined by knowing who it is you’re leading.
Sure, you need to have vision and strategy, but that is all hollow if you don’t know how to effectively communicate it with the people you’re leading. This is why it is critical that we understand the personalities that exist under our leadership.
Knowing the people who follow your leadership is important because…
- it dictates the way you communicate with them.
- you can better predict how they will react in stressful settings.
- you will know how to better handle conflict between individuals based on personality
- you will know how to encourage them based on their foundational personality
- you will know how to correct them based on their foundational personality
- you will hire/recruit the right person for the right job
- you understand who God has wired them to be as part of the Body
Go check out the Servants by Design Inventory to find out how your team can use this valuable resource!
Later this week, I’ll be sharing how this same study can be used to better understand the kids that you’re raising at home or leading in ministry!