Imagine if you woke up to find that all your clothes were 2 sizes too large and all your shoes were 2 sizes too small. How would you feel being forced to wear something that was obviously created with someone else in mind?
What if, on that same day, you realized that all television stations spoke in a foreign language that you could not understand? Not only are you frustrated and confused, but you are also mission out on much needed information.
This scenario is exaggerated a bit, but I can only imagine that this is what a preteen feels like when their church experience is not something designed specifically for them. Preteens don’t need an adult curriculum or a “children’s” curriculum anymore than you need enormously large clothes or ridiculously small shoes! This age group needs opportunities to ask tough questions and see how Scripture gives them answers. Preteens are unique and they deserve a curriculum that fits their life right now.
Lifeway understood the unique needs of preteens, and they’ve produced a curriculum that every leader should explore. I got a chance to review FLYTE, Lifeway’s preteen curriculum, and I was really impressed with the thought and production that went into this series. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Awesome graphics and videos to go with lessons (this is HUGE for preteens)
- Biblically-solid teaching that applies Scripture to preteen issues
- Teaches preteens the difference between “world’s answer” and “God’s answer”
- 2-year scope and sequence that can also be used as stand-alone lessons/units
- Tons of extras—training material and videos, blog, product specialists, leader devotions, student devotions, and much more
- MOST IMPORTANT—gives preteens the opportunity to explore the Bible and discover God’s plan and purpose for this stage of life
Based on what I saw in this curriculum, I think it is definitely a home run for preteen ministry. Price is always an issue for ministries, and, well, this curriculum isn’t free. However, I believe the curriculum is well worth the cost considering it’s effectiveness and all the extras that you’ll receive.
Don’t take my word for it though—go check it out! See more at Lifeway’s Website.